Sunday, October 9

Cuttings 12 - Lauren Hill

MTV Unplugged concert [from live recording]

In the interludes between songs Lauren Hill talks to the crowd, exzplains her new philosophy, her new outlook -- she sounds much like a post-breakdown celebrity, and her voice sounds completely ruined when she sings - i mean, i like the sound, but it sounds like she has nodules compared to the voice we know from her -- yet some of her ideas have a certain resonance...

"I used to dress up for y'all, I don't do that no more."

"Fantasy if what people want, but reality is what they need."

"I came to terms with the fact that I created this public person, this public illusion and, it held me hostage - I couldn't be a real person."

"I know I sound raspy - I used to be a prisoner, wanting to maintain this immaculate sounding voice, but thats not realistic..."


I agree, there is no need to 'perfect' voices, the character comes from the imperfections (though in this case i think there is a difference between the sound and the health of a voice) - still, I can see where she's coming from - having done the image thing for so long, and all the pressure that comes with that, now she wants to do the reality thing.. I respect that!